Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A letter from a fellow soldier of 61 Mech and 301Bn

I served at Tsintsabis from the end of 1983 to Dec 1986 before being transferred to Sector 10 ,Oshakati. I started my border duty at 301 Bn (Tsintsabis or previously known as Noord Grens Kompanie) a year after the particular ambush described here and I remember the ambush site very well as we used to drive past it on our patrols between the Bravo and Charlie Cutline close to a place called "Plaas 8" near the "17 30" cutline which ran from North to South. We would sometimes stop at the ambush site and some of the shallow trenches that the PLAN fighters dug would still be visible. We would sometimes find pieces of molten bullet-proof glass and other items from the destroyed Ratel. To us that site was almost holy and we always thought of our comrades that died there. I will one day visit that site again as it is one of my dreams. For three years I closely worked with one of the bushmen trackers who was present during the ambush named "Ou Jan". His brother, Jan KK was also killed during that ambush and we must never forget the big role that these bushmen trackers played and the sacrifices that they made. I also remember Tannie Pompie and you, Riana and Olivia very well. As I said I have a dream to visit Tsintsabis again one day and retrace our steps at 301 Bn where I spent three of the best years of my life in the army between the Aplha and Charlie cutline. I made good friends and I only have fond memories of that time of my youth. Despite all the negative perceptions being distributed about the old SADF, I will always be proud to have served as part of a force which formed a buffer between the threat from those who intended to kill farmers and other innocent civilians and those that we had to protect, regardless of race, creed or colour. It was not in vain! I must end by saying that Tannie Pompie understood a TR-15H and B-25 radio better than any other signaller that I met and I am gratefull for all the times that she relayed messages for us. I am sorry to hear that she has passed away. I last saw her in Swakopmund in 1990 if I am not mistaken. Take care and cherish your memories as you can be proud of your parents. I salute all soldiers and civilians who served at 301 Bn as well as the soldiers of 61 Mech Bn (our neighbours), Etosha AME and other units on our flanks, front and rear. Greetings "Skollie"

No comments: