Monday, December 18, 2006

The Heroes of 61 Mechanised Battalion.

A couple of weeks ago I came across Riana on the internet and we exchanged the usual questions starting with ASL (age, sex, location). She told me she is from Namibia and I suspect because of my age (44), she asked, whether I had been to Namibia before, whereby I replied that I had been there, courtesy of the South African Defense Force during 1982 to 1984.

She went on to ask me whether, I had been on or known of, operation Yahoo and I replied, no. In fact I had never heard of it or could not remember ever hearing of it and was sure that she was either mistaken or having me on. I all too often come across people who claim to have been amidst the goings on of the brutal terrorist war that was being fought, in the northern regions of what is now Namibia, thinking that they can somehow convince people into believing their stories of glory. They fool some of the people some of the time but they cant fool all of the people all of the time, especially those who have actually been there.

Riana began telling me a story and I soon came to the somewhat shocking realization that she was real and the story she was telling was the real. I sat on the edge of my chair till 3 in the morning taken back to a world that I had almost forgotten and in a way, so desperately wanted to forget.

After eventually going to bed, I could not sleep and could not stop thinking of that period of my life and what it was like to be there but, I could not help having doubts about the finer details of what she had told me.

Even though the sincerity in which she had conveyed the story, had me convinced that there surely must be some truth in it and I was convinced that an event of such magnitude must surely, be documented somewhere on the internet.

It was!! However, what I find so extremely saddening is that the details of our heroes are so sparsely documented that, they are forgotten by the vast majority and the fading memories of those who still do remember, will soon dissappear under the sands of time leaving the rest with nothing.This is the exact purpose of this Blog. To remind you, NEVER to forget!

In Remenberence of 2nd Lt D.R. van der Westhuizen and Rfn. J.H Potgieter who were attached to 61 Mechanised Battalion Group, Omuthiya in the Tsumeb district. “Etoshagebiedsmag”. Veni Vidi Vici!! Lest we forget.

In short, this is the story Riana van der Westhuizen’s conveyed to me. The details of which may be blurred by myself. She is the daughter of late 2nd Lt D.R van der Westhuizen and sister in law of late Rifleman J.H Potgieter. This is her Blog and I merely set it up for her together with this prologue, for her to continue with. The details are up to Riana and the men of 61 Mech, who hopefully come across this page, to keep it alive together with the memories of our heroes and our past. Go for it guys!

As mentioned above 2nd Lt
D.R van der Westhuizen was attached to 61 Mech and who was an accomplished tracker. Between 6 and 18 April 1981 there were numerous infiltrations, which led to four events where fire was exchanged with Swapo infiltrators and which lead to the death or capture of eight of the enemy. Lt D.R. van der Westhuizen was involved in all four events.

On the 14th April 1981 two of his comrades, without substantial cover, were pinned down by Swapo insurgents, whereby 2nd Lt van der Westhuizen, “without hesitation”, as quoted by military documentation regarding the incident, stood upright in a military vehicle known a “Buffel” while ordering the driver to position the vehicle in which he was standing upright, between the Swapo and the solders pinned down by hostile fire, thereby redirecting the fire to himself, giving the soldiers opportunity to take cover. The Swapo
insurgents were subsequently killed. For this act of bravery, 2nd Lt van der Westhuizen was awarded the Honoris Crux.

For those who don’t know the enormity of being bestowed the Honoris Crux. It is awarded only to those who "without thought of own safety and through personal courage and determination performed a gallant act or deed against the enemy in the field". It has only been awarded 187 times since its inception in 1952 to 1991.

One year and one day later on 15th April 1982, while on patrol in a Ratel, Lt van der Westhuizen was following a couple of a tracks that one of his trackers had picked up. The Ratel was hit by no less than five RPG-7 rockets in an ambush just after 10am. By the time backup went to their aid, the majority of the occupants of the Ratel had been killed including Lt van der Westhuizen’s son in law Rfn. J.H Potgieter. Riana was only 11 years old at the time.

Lest we forget.
Rfn. B.J Wolfaardt
Rfn. M Peterson
Rfn. JH Potgieter.
Rfn. Hough
Rfn. JDC du Toit
Rfn. GPC Hattingh
2nd Lt. DR van der Westhuizen
L/Cpl. JJ van der Berg
Kpl. MJ van Jaarsveld


Riana would like to hear from anybody who was involved with 61 Mech Battalion. Her address is at the top of this page.


Neville van Jaarsveld.

13 comments:

John Dovey said...

Hi Riana,
I am really glad to see that the blog is started. I would like to see your thoughts and feelings as I think that it would be valuable for other veterans of that war, as well as the families of others who were killed, to have a place that is dedicated to their memory and sacrifice.
"We will remember them"
John Dovey
Roll of Honour

Riana said...

Hi John

I want to take this space to thank you personally and publicly for the help i have recieved from you.
Thank you for the good work and may more peope realise we have so MANY heroes in our midsts.
I hope to reach a lot of people with my blog and hope to get them all to post their stories.
Its time we start to talk about our heroes, honour them!!!!
Riana van der Westhuizen

Anonymous said...

Hi Riana,

I am glad to see this blog up about 61 Mech, it was a place that left me with many memories and lots to think about. I have mailed you privately about my website, I hope that you will find lots of memories there too. Keep up the great work and I am going to add in a link for you on the website. Hopefully we wont forget these guys even though everybody else seems to have.

Riana said...

Marius,

Thanks 4 yr post, and thank u 4 linking my blog to yr site, ive had a lot of ppl coming to visit it lately and i think i can thank u 4 it.

There was sum kind of problem with the posts, and Neville have only fixed it 2nite, so i only saw all the posts dats been added now.
Some of them really shook me, its so amazing to know after all the years there r complete strangers out there dat feels the way i do.
Im so pround of my heritage and parents, of each and every soldier dat fought!!!
Take care and i hope u will drop in from time to time to have a look around here.

Hugs
Riana

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for this blog we will remmember them (they did they bid ) Jan

Anonymous said...

Here is some additional information (plus photo) of the incident described above.

http://www.justdone.co.za

Anonymous said...

Hi Riana,
The date was in 1984 i seved in 11A and had friends in the Ratel. They will never be forgotton, that day still lives on with me every day.They were brave men doing a good job.My they be rememberd that way.
Mad Mack

Anonymous said...

Riana
My appologies as i have placed a comment for the wrong event...this is what happens when you try and hide your true thoughts as date and places are not that clear. We to lost a ratel full ove men in Askari that made me think this was the same incedent with the same horrific outcome. Unlike your loss this ratel was hit at point blank range by a T55 tank...they had no chance..that day was a sad day for all and will be rememberd forever.
Please accept my apologies and may God be with you.. call sing 11A..Mad Mac

Unknown said...

I'm proud to have been part of 61 Mech and that i could follow in those men's footsteps

Andrew Whitaker said...

I am really glad to have come across your blog. I served with 61 in 1980 and next month is the 30th anniversary of operation Sceptic (Smokeshell) when we lost 17 mates. It is strange how so many years later we still remember that day so clearly.

One day I hope to return to Namibia and maybe visit Southern Angola.

A couple of years ago I overheard someone asking a lady from Cathcart, what her maiden name was. When she responded "Kruger", I asked if she was related to Paul, who was a Corporal killed during this operation. She replied that she was his sister. I told her that I had known him well and had in fact seen him as we headed in to battle. It turned out that I was the first person she had met that had served with her brother and we chatted for ages. It was amazing how many small details one recalls after so many years.

Tol Oosthuizen said...

Please, do somebody know where I can contact Wo2 Weem Rosenstrauch. He was a Wo at Regement Erongo.

I am on Facebook. Tol Oosthuizen and I have got a foto of him amongst my foto's.

Thank you very much.

Tol Oosthuizen

Signaler said...

I was stationed at 513 TP Oshakati in 88. As a Spec Signaler (Brush or Donnerse Seiners as some Rank revered to us).I was most interested with your Moms involvement with radios. Pity she did not tell us about the inverted v antenna. You have reason to extremely proud of both parents
. Salute

Boerseun said...

I was also working as spesseiner (SWAPO Soektaak) at 513TP in 1988. Willing to exchange memories?